Lecturer of Library and Information Studies – Museum Studies, Renewable Term

Norman, OK
Open Date:
Feb 16, 2024

The School of Library and Information Studies (SLIS) at the University of Oklahoma (OU) invites applications for 6 full-time, Renewable Term Lecturer position (9 month academic year contract 3 month summer required) to teach in the Master of Arts in Museum Studies program. These faculty positions will begin in May 2024 (summer semester) or August 2024 (fall semester). This position is located in Norman, Oklahoma and faculty members will be expected to move to the area (this is not a remote position).

The Master of Arts in Museum Studies is delivered in an online and asynchronous format. The position is 80% teaching with a load of 8 classes per year typically on a 3 fall, 3 spring, and 2 summer schedule. The remaining 20% is service within the department and university.

Successful candidates will have a specialization in Museum Studies and the ability to teach two or more of the following specializations:

  • Museum management, administration, leadership
  • Museum collection acquisitions, cataloging, and management
  • Technology for museum professionals
  • Digital collections
  • Research methods for museum professionals
  • Museum communities and outreach
  • Museums and social justice, cultural sensitivity, diverse communities
  • Laws and legal issues related to museums
  • Audience engagement and programming in museums

Faculty responsibilities include:

  • Instruction at the graduate level
  • Course development
  • Mentoring graduate students
  • Supervising student independent courses and projects
  • Contributing to systematic planning and development within SLIS, including attending faculty meetings
  • SLIS committee membership, other SLIS service assignments


Minimum Qualifications:

    • Earned Ph.D. with a focus on Museum Studies. Museum Studies is a multidisciplinary field, so applicants may come from a number of disciplines such as Library and Information Science, History, Anthropology, Geology, Fine Arts, and others.
    • Demonstrated teaching experience

More here. 

Recommended Posts