The Cincinnati Art Museum has an immediate opening for a Curatorial Assistant in the South Asian Art, Islamic Art, and Antiquities department. This position is full-time, scheduled 35 hours per week with full benefit eligibility and generous paid time off.
Working under the supervision of the Curator of South Asian Art, Islamic Art, and Antiquities, the Curatorial Assistant for South Asian Art, Islamic Art, and Antiquities will support the Curator in the research, management, care, and development of departmental projects, including exhibitions and contributing towards collection development and collection care. This individual coordinates between key staff and external stakeholders to ensure the department’s projects and programs are effectively administered. They are critical to the implementation of exhibition and curatorial programming as well as departmental organization and administration.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Working under the direction of the Curator of South Asian Art, Islamic Art, and Antiquities, duties include, but are not limited to:
- Works collaboratively with the museum’s Conservation, Registration, Design & Installation, Learning & Interpretation, Marketing, Photography, IT and others to ensure the care of the collections.
- Works collaboratively with other staff on projects to rehouse, re-organize, and rotate works of art in the permanent collections, including planning and coordinating related meetings and events.
- Researches, amends, and completes cataloguing information in the collections database.
- Assists the curator in the development, planning, and installation of temporary exhibitions and rotations within the permanent collections.
- Under the supervision of the curator, project manages semi-annual gallery rotations which includes scheduling with Design & Installation, coordinating with conservators and preparators, and contributing creatively to the thematic displays.
- Supports the curator in the acquisition of objects for the permanent collections, including research and cataloging duties as assigned.
- Facilitates incoming gifts and purchase considerations, including research and documentation, arranging for conservation review of objects, and liaising with external stakeholders.
- Supports curator, conservators, and registrars in the in the coordination of loans.
- Assist curator with organizing talks, lectures, scholarly symposium, and study days and related programs as needed.
- Educates docents and volunteers with regards to the department’s collections and temporary exhibitions as assigned.
- Conduct research on objects in the collection and on related topics in consultation with the curator.
- Researches and responds to outside queries as assigned, and meets with visiting scholars to review permanent collection objects when appropriate.
- Attends internal curatorial and exhibition planning meetings as assigned. Attends special events related to curatorial division activities as assigned, including meetings, lectures, and exhibitions.
- Other special projects or departmental duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s in Archaeology, Art History, or related field required. Master’s in Archaeology or Art History preferred.
- Academic experience and/or interest in some aspect of art or archaeology from South Asia, the Islamic world, ancient Mediterranean, or ancient Middle East.
- Several years’ experience in a comparable office setting, with previous museum experience preferred.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills with the ability to connect with varied audiences.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Strong research skills.
- Knowledge of a foreign language relevant to the collection areas of the department preferred.
- The ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve common goals.
Salary range: $36,500 – $41,600
Apply for the Curatorial Assistant for South Asian Art position using the link below: