The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Museum Scientist 2 position in the New York State Museum (NYSM). Under the supervision of a Museum Scientist 3 or higher, the incumbent will serve as collections manager for the Anthropology program. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Ensure that the Museum’s anthropology collections (including prehistoric and historic archaeology, ethnography, and bioarcheology) are managed and stored according to NYSM standards and tracked using the Museum’s MIMSY collection software (an Oracle relational database that is used to inventory and track the Museum’s collections);
• Coordinate with prospective donors to review and arrange for donations of important new collections;
• Provide information on and access to NYSM anthropology collections for institutions, researchers, and the public, and facilitate use of these collections for research, loans, and exhibits;
• Regularly revise and update policies and procedures for anthropology collections at the NYSM; and
• Supervise collections technicians, Museum Scientist 1, interns, volunteers, and students in properly organizing and cataloging anthropological collections for curation.